6 Factors That Affect Your Metabolic Rate
Metabolism is a chemical process that helps keep your body alive and perform basic body functions like breathing, digestion, blood circulation, cell growth and tissue repair. The food that we eat is converted into energy and used up by our body. The amount of energy needed to keep ourselves alive at rest is known as Basal Metabolic Rate. Even if we do not perform any physical activity, our body still requires energy to function properly so that we can live.
6 Factors That Determine Your Metabolic Rate
1. Age: Your metabolic rate slows down as you get older. This leads to loss of muscle tissue. After the age of 30, your metabolism decreases, and fat starts to accumulate in our body, so we need fewer calories to keep our bodies functioning.
2. Gender: Men have more lean muscles than women, so they have a higher metabolic rate. Women lose muscle tissue faster than men and gain weight quickly.
3. Genetics: Genetics play an important role in determining your metabolic rate, whether you have a fast or slow metabolism. You may even have a slower metabolism compared to others of the same age and gender, or a faster metabolism. Some people may have genetic disorders that affect metabolism adversely.
4. Muscle Mass: Muscles require more energy than fats. The more muscles you have, the more amount of energy your body requires.
5. Body Size: People that have larger bodies tend to consume a large amount of calories to maintain their body cells and large internal organs. So they have large Basal Metabolic Rate.
6. Food: Eating certain types of food can help boost your metabolism. Consuming proteins like chicken, turkey, lobster, shrimp and egg whites helps boost metabolism for weight loss. Other foods that are equally beneficial to boost metabolism are blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, oranges and lemons.
If you are overweight and unable to boost your metabolism for weight loss, contact New England Fat Loss today! New England Fat Loss is a metabolic weight loss center, having 6 locations in Massachusetts we help people lose weight effectively by correcting, balancing, and boosting metabolism.
Featured Blog Post
There are various and theories for how we maintain optimal health. One of the first places to begin is with our weight. A frequently discussed part of body weight is the debate about fat vs obese. Because someone has a denser body mass, does not make them obese. Being...read more
Many people striving to trim down and lose weight will begin to attach calories as their enemy. To reach the goal in a healthier fashion, we need to appreciate that everything we eat isn't equal calories. This is especially true when trying to lose weight. Our body is...read more
Scientist and dietitians are constantly on the hunt for a diet that burns body fat effectively while maintaining nutrition and hunger levels. Most diets that are currently trending are hard to maintain for long periods of time, though. Introducing Calorie Shifting,...read more