6 Factors That Affect Your Metabolic Rate
Metabolism is a chemical process that helps keep your body alive and perform basic body functions like breathing, digestion, blood circulation, cell growth and tissue repair. The food that we eat is converted into energy and used up by our body. The amount of energy needed to keep ourselves alive at rest is known as Basal Metabolic Rate. Even if we do not perform any physical activity, our body still requires energy to function properly so that we can live.
6 Factors That Determine Your Metabolic Rate
1. Age: Your metabolic rate slows down as you get older. This leads to loss of muscle tissue. After the age of 30, your metabolism decreases, and fat starts to accumulate in our body, so we need fewer calories to keep our bodies functioning.
2. Gender: Men have more lean muscles than women, so they have a higher metabolic rate. Women lose muscle tissue faster than men and gain weight quickly.
3. Genetics: Genetics play an important role in determining your metabolic rate, whether you have a fast or slow metabolism. You may even have a slower metabolism compared to others of the same age and gender, or a faster metabolism. Some people may have genetic disorders that affect metabolism adversely.
4. Muscle Mass: Muscles require more energy than fats. The more muscles you have, the more amount of energy your body requires.
5. Body Size: People that have larger bodies tend to consume a large amount of calories to maintain their body cells and large internal organs. So they have large Basal Metabolic Rate.
6. Food: Eating certain types of food can help boost your metabolism. Consuming proteins like chicken, turkey, lobster, shrimp and egg whites helps boost metabolism for weight loss. Other foods that are equally beneficial to boost metabolism are blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, oranges and lemons.
If you are overweight and unable to boost your metabolism for weight loss, contact New England Fat Loss today! New England Fat Loss is a metabolic weight loss center, having 6 locations in Massachusetts we help people lose weight effectively by correcting, balancing, and boosting metabolism.
Featured Blog Post
One tool that can help you shed fat quickly, and more importantly, enable you to keep it off, is fasting, the process of cycling periods of eating and not eating. Intermittent fasting for weight loss also has benefits beyond shedding fat. It can fast-track your...read more
There’s a reason it’s hard for many people to go to the gym alone; having support when starting a weight loss journey is instrumental to success. Obtaining social support can be as easy as finding a friend at your gym, but there are also many types of weight-loss...read more
Carbohydrates are essential to the human body, but a carb addiction will only slow down weight loss. They fuel the brain, the muscles, and every other organ in the human body. However, the addition of processed carbohydrates to nearly every food we consume has created...read more